Turning lemon myrtle into a spice dip for tempura prawns will blow your mind and please your taste-buds.
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 5 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• soy sauce to serve
• 1/3 cup (50g) cornflour
• sunflower oil, to deep-fry
• 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
• 3/4 cup (110g) plain flour, sifted
• 2 chat potatoes, sliced into rounds
• 1 cup (250ml) sparkling water, chilled
• 2 onions, peeled, sliced into 1cm rings
• 2 tsps ground lemon myrtle or lemon zest
• 12 green prawns, peeled (tails intact), deveined
- Combine the lemon myrtle with 2 teaspoon salt flakes in a bowl and set aside.
- For the batter, whisk together the egg yolk and sparkling water. Add the flour and lightly whisk to combine.
- Half-fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan with oil and heat to 190°C (a cube of bread will turn golden in 30 seconds when the oil is hot enough).
- Place the cornflour on a plate. Lightly coat prawns, onion and potato in cornflour, then dip in the batter to thickly coat. In batches, lower into the hot oil and cook for 2-3 minutes until golden and puffed.
- Drain well on paper towel and repeat with remaining prawns, potato and onion.
- Serve with soy sauce and the lemon myrtle salt for dipping.
This great family recipe is thanks to Delicious at https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/tempura-prawns-lemon-myrtle-salt/72d8ec46-a528-4073-892f-809c50b4e1ea?current_section=recipes&r=recipes/group/sx8icie0