Thai Beef Salad - tender greens with perfectly seared beef in a savory Thai salad dressing that is packed with lots of flavor and great for clean eating!
• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 5 minutes
• Yield: Serves 2
• A tiny bit of cooking oil
• 1 lb grilled top sirloin or trimmed rib eye steak (approx. 450 grams)
For the salad:
• 1 cup spinach leaves
• 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
• 2 thinly sliced shallots
• 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
• 6-8 cherry tomatoes cut in halves
For the dressing:
• sugar to taste
• 1/4 cup lime juice (approx. 5 tbsps)
• 1/4 cup fish sauce (approx. 5 tbsps)
• 1-2 red birds eye chilies finely chopped
- Preheat a pan on high heat until very hot. Add a bit of cooking oil and spread it evenly across the bottom. Let the steak sit in the pan for around a minute to get a nice crust. Flip over the steak and repeat. Reduce heat to medium and cook to your liking. Wrap the meat in aluminum foil and allow resting for about 5 – 10 minutes before thinly slicing across the grain.
- In a bowl whisk together fish sauce, lime juice, bird's eye chilies and sugar to taste. Toss in the mint leaves, cilantro, shallots and cherry tomatoes and mix well. Serve the salad mix on top of a bed of spinach and drizzle some of the dressing over.
NOTES: If you have the access to a grill, this will produce even better results. Cooking time of the steak depend on how thick it is and if you prefer it rare, medium rare or well done. For a less spicy alternative, use fresh red finger length chilies with seeds and central stem removed. Temper the meat by letting it rest in room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling/cooking.
This great family recipe is thanks to RASA MALAYSIA Recipes at https://rasamalaysia.com/thai-beef-salad-recipe/